Cisco 2900, password reset/recovery
Step-by-Step Cisco Router Password Recovery Process
The password reset/recovery process on Cisco 2900 ISRs can be accomplished by restarting the router and following a series of steps.
Remove the compact flash from the rear of the router and restart the router. Reinsert the compact flash once the router is in Rommon mode, then enter the following commands:
1. Type confreg 0×2142 at the rommon 1> prompt. The router will boot from the compact flash, bypassing the startup configuration that stores passwords.
2. Type reset at the rommon 2> prompt. The router will reboot.
3. Press Ctrl+C to skip the initial setup procedure.
4. Type enable at the Router> prompt.
5. Type configure memory or copy startup-config running-config. It is important that you type only those commands at this point in order to avoid erasing your startup configuration.
6. Enter the show running-config command.
You will now be able to view the configuration of the router. All interfaces will be shown as shut down. You will see all passwords in either encrypted or unencrypted forms. You can reuse unencrypted passwords, but encrypted passwords must be changed.
Next you can enable a password with the following steps:
1. Type configure terminal to bring up the hostname(config)# prompt.
2. Type enable secret . For example, the line should show hostname(config)#enable secret example1 if you want your new password to be example1.
Now that you have changed the password, you will need to exit and save. Issue the no shutdown command on every interface that you use. At this point, if you were to issue a show ip interface brief command, every interface that you want to use should show up up.
Your final steps for the password reset/recovery process are:
1. Type config-register 0×2102.
2. Press Ctrl-Z or end to exit the configuration mode. The hostname# prompt appears without (config).
3. Type write memory or copy running-config startup-config to commit the changes and save your new password.
Restart With Your Password
Once you have committed your changes you will be able to use your recovered or reset password on your Cisco 2900 series ISR.